Sworn-Officer Hiring Prerequisites
All police applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a United States citizen at least 19 years of age.
- If military must have received an honorable discharge.
- Must have a valid Florida driver’s license, or the ability to obtain one.
- Must submit to a polygraph and psychological screening exam.
- If offer of employment made, then must submit to a complete physical examination including drug screen, Lumbar X-ray, and EKG is required.
- If offer of employment made, then must meet the minimum standards of the Department approved physical ability test.
- Must meet all the requirements for certification as a law enforcement officer by Florida CJSTC.
- Successful completion of the Florida Police Certification Exam may be waived until such time the exam is offered.
- Must be tobacco free.
Do you allow citizens to ride with your officers?
“Ride-a-longs” are allowed on a limited basis. Typically, they are granted to certified officers and applicants with conditional offers of employment. Each request is viewed on a case-by-case basis however.
What are the eligibility requirements to be assigned a take home police vehicle?
- Completion of probationary period.
- Must reside within 35 miles from the city limits of Vero Beach
How are your patrol cars equipped?
The Vero Beach Police Department equips each patrol vehicle with a mobile data terminal computer, shotgun rack, mobile video camera, strobe lighting package, Code 3 light bar and siren equipment. Radar units are also available to officers who are certified.
How much in-service training do your officers receive?
A recent survey revealed that the average law enforcement officer in the state of Florida receives only 44 hours of in-service training each year. Vero Beach officers receive approximately 68 hours of in-service training each year.
Must I attend the police academy if I am certified in another state?
You may be eligible for an exemption from the full basic training requirements if you were an officer in another state or with the federal government and meet the following requirements:
• You worked at least one year, full-time as a sworn officer in the discipline you are seeking exemption;
• You received training in that discipline which is comparable to Florida's full basic recruit curriculum and/or;
• You were previously certified in Florida.
FDLE Information Site on EOT
What type of firearm do Vero Beach officers carry?
Officers are issued a Glock 9mm pistol. Shotguns and rifles are also available.
How long is your field-training program?
The field-training program (FTO) is 12 weeks long.
Do you hire lateral transfers?
Yes, but the certification and training requirements differ depending on if you are transferring from within or from outside the state of Florida.
When will I be eligible for a specialized unit?
It depends on the specialized unit. Officers must be off probation before consideration for a specialized unit. Probation lasts for one year after passing the state exam.
How do I obtain a Florida driver’s license?
For information on obtaining Florida driver’s license, go to the following link: FLHSMV - How Do I?